New Road Inn, St Simon Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The old location of the New Road Inn is now underwater since the River Irwell was diverted in the 1960s. On the corner of Bridgewater Street and St Simon Street, the New Road Inn was on the end of a row of houses facing the wonderfully-named Anaconda Works, which made copper wire. Dating back to at least the 1860s, the beerhouse was owned by Cornbrook Brewery by the start of the twentieth century, and while the police tried to close it in 1907 due to gambling on the premises, it eventually shut in 1936. Even though the New Road Inn was run by a widow, Charlotte Brennan, who supported her disabled son on the profits from just two barrels of beer a week, the magistrates agreed that the beerhouse was "unsuitable and no longer needed ."
Former location of New Road Inn, St Simon Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).