Former British Queen, Gravel Lane, Salford, 1970s. (c) Neil Richardson .
The British Queen stood on the corner of Queen Street and Gravel Lane, closing in 1904 but the building itself lasted until 1980 as a lodging house then business premises. The alehouse (which predated beerhouses) was originally the Anchor then Hope & Anchor, first licensed in 1790, and changed its name to the Duke of Clarence then the William IV, then the Queens Arms and finally the British Queen by 1842. In 1869 the British Queen was described as the "most disgraceful and disorderly house in all Salford", but by 1894 it had passed to Yates's Castle Brewery. The 1904 brewster sessions saw the British Queen closed for good, with the police complaining of drunken persons, "unfortunate women" and low characters from the lodgings in Angel Meadow in Manchester. The 1970s shot of the former British Queen shows the Three Legs of Man on Greengate in the background 
Former location of British Queen, Gravel Lane. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).