Victoria, Ellor Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Tony Flynn .
The Victoria started life in 1857 on the corner of John Street and Ellor Street in Hanky Park, and was denied a full licence on opening but got one a year later. It was advertised by Hannay & Dickson wine and spirits merchants, who had stores at the Sun on Deansgate and Old Nelson on Chapel Street (today's Rovers Return). They took over Kays Atlas Brewery of Ardwick but then gave up the Victoria. By the early 1900s the Manchester Brewery Company owned the Victoria, passing to Walker & Homfray and then Wilsons. In 1955 the landlord applied for a music licence as he wanted to pianist, not singers "as they attract coach trippers from Liverpool." The Victoria was lost to Hanky Park redevelopment under the compulsory purchase orders of 1959, closing in 1965 . The old spot where the Victoria once stood is roughly where Paddington Close is today.
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).