Kings Head, Ravald Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
Ravald Street used to still run through this part of old Salford until recently, south of Greengate and between Blackfriars Road and Trinity Way, next road up from Hodson Street. The new Renault garage saw Ravald Street off, but it used to run further west and had a handful of boozers. The Kings Head beerhouse opened around 1840 and became a Walkers of Warrington house by the early 1900s, when the area was described as a "low neighbourhood" full of bad characters. The Kings Head had a low class of customers and the landlord had resorted to the "long pull" (giving drinkers more than a pint!) to attract numbers. The police ordered the closure of the Kings Head due to lack of custom and it was shut for good in 1913 .
1. Salford Pubs Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).