Seven Stars, Regent Road, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Seven Stars on Regent Road was originally named the Military Arms when it opened in 1868 four doors along from the Albert. The Military Arms expanded into the next door shop in 1893 taking it closed to its neighbour and Walkers Brewery renamed the expanded beerhouse the Seven Stars. The authorities tried to close down the boozer in 1915, with the magistrate stating that there were nine licensed premises in a row along Regent Road "like nine little nigger boys". The politically incorrect term came from an old nursery rhyme and despite this claim and with it being described as "hell upon earth", the beerhouse survived. However, in 1933 the Seven Stars was ordered to close for good as the building was structurally unsound . Like most of the lost Regent Road pubs and beerhouses, nothing stands where the Seven Stars once stood.
1. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Regent Road, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).