Hough Lane used to run off Lower Broughton Road between the Poets Corner (and Peel Park Inn) and Royal Archer, and on the spot where the modern-day Antares Avenue is marked was the Vine Inn. Hough Lane used to run through to Hough Farm in the River Irwell loop and where it met with River Street, the Vine Inn stood on the corner, first listed in 1869. Unfortunately the pub's license was suspended in 1894 due to it being "frequented by loose persons" (nowt's changed in Lower Broughton). The Vine was ran by former Broughton Rangers forward, William Winskill, and under him, Empress Brewery enlarged the pub by incorporating the neighbouring house into a bar parlour. Walkers Brewery took over in the 1920s and Winskill was still running the place into the '40s. The Vine finally closed in 1975 under the Lower Broughton clearances .
2. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).