Albert, Embden Street, Hulme, 1930s. (c) Bob Potts .
The Albert Hotel was first licensed in 1863 as an Empress Brewery house on Embden Street in Hulme . It was later taken over by Peter Walker & Sons of Warrington who owned the Albert Inn until it closed in 1969. Under Walkers, the Albert advertised Falstaff Ales as well as the concerts it had done previously - "Select Concert Every Evening" . Embden Street was lost in the first wave of the Hulme clearances and the approximate location of it and the old Albert is roughly where Holdgate Close is today.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).