This distinctive Threlfalls house stood on the north-east corner of Tatton Street and West Worsley Street, one of three at the junction of these streets along with the Crown and the Worsley Hotel. The Horse & Jockey opened in 1868, described as a typical beerhouse of the time with a vault on the corner and a parlour and kitchen. In 1915 the Horse & Jockey was almost forced to close by magistrates due to poor sales and there being 50 licensed premises within 300 yards, but a few months Threlfalls showed that sales were up to six barrels a week and it remained in business until its demolition in 1974 . Tatton Street still runs for a short stretch through the north part of Ordsall today but the Horse & Jockey was much further along, towards Trafford Road, and today Lascar Avenue marks its rough location.
2. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).