The Royal Archer was on the same side as the Poets Corner, opposite it on the other side of Hough Lane. It can be traced back to 1873 when a "large and handsome hotel" applied to take over the licence of the old Royal Archer on Chapel Street. When the old pub was pulled down for the construction of Blackfriars Road, the new one opened as "quite an ornament to the neighbourhood... with dormer windows, stone mouldings... and ornamental railings ."
By 1920 the pub was owned by Hardy's Crown Brewery, and around this time the licensee was fined £10 for closing the public bar to save beer for the Buffalo Club during a local beer shortage. Bass Charrington took the Royal Archer in the 1960s and finally the Centric and Gibbs Mew pub companies had it before it closed in 1997 . Thankfully the Royal Archer was captured by Alan Winfield in 1995 before its demolition a couple of years later .
2. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).