Kings Arms, Oldfield Road, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr.
The Kings Arms sat on the corner of Allwood Street and Oldfield Road until as recently as 2000, and can be traced back to 1805 when the Good Samaritan opened. Five years later it had changed its name to the Kings Arms and the owner was John Allwood, hence the street name. The pub was rebuilt in 1848 and the brewhouse it had boasted since 1831 remained until at least 1850, advertised as the Royal Brewery. Further alterations to the Kings Arms were confirmed by an 1854 datestone which was transferred to the pub when further work was done a century later in the 1950s.
Kings Arms, Oldfield Road, Salford, 1961. (c) Neil Richardson .
Walker & Homfrays had the Kings Arms from 1898 and when it transferred to Wilsons in the 1960s, the Newton Heath brewer painted the lower floor's tiled frontage. Holt's Brewery bought the Kings in 1982 and it remained open until September 2000 when it was demolished a month later for improvements. As shown below, these are yet to take place, and the only reminder of the Kings Arms are the railings that stood in front of the pub in the '60s and 70's as shown above.
Former location of Kings Arms, Oldfield Road, Salford. (c) Google 2011. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).