Lord Egerton, West Craven Street, Ordsall. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr.
West Craven Street used to run all the way from Ordsall Park to Regent Road, and on the corner of the lost Martha Street stood the Lord Egerton, which dates back to about 1868. The Lord Egerton was nicknamed Blick's after owner William Blick, whom Express Brewery took over from. Walkers Brewery had it in the 1930s but but 1964 the building was deemed unsafe due to shaking from the passing traffic. The brewery pulled it down and, because the plans for the new Ordsall weren't finished, built a temporary pub over the cellars . This strange, single-storye pre-fab boozer lasted until 1971 . These days only the lower end of West Craven Street remains as the new Ordsall estate was plonked on top of the old thoroughfare.
Lord Egerton, West Craven Street, Ordsall. (c) Neil Richardson .
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).
2. Salford Pubs of the 70s - www.flickr.com/photos/61756486@N05.