Seen here for the first time in decades thanks to Salford Pubs of the 70s photos at flickr , the Grey Mare was the last of Cannon Street's pubs to be demolished having stood here near the Silk Street - Blackfriars Road (formerly Broughton Road) junction since 1863. The beerhouse was leased by Groves & Whitnall in 1893 from the Earl of Derby who owned the plot of land. The brewery brought the freehold when the 99-year lease ended in 1906 and the Grey Mare served the area, known as St Matthias, until 1971. Scandalously, even though the city engineer reported that the pub didn't have to be demolished for the new Blackfriars Road School, they pulled it down anyway .Grey Mare, Cannon Street, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr.
1. Salford Pubs of the 70s - www.flickr.com/photos/61756486@N05.
2. Salford Pubs Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).