Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Saturday, 26 November 2011

Sherwood, Wilmslow Road


Former Sherwood, Wilmslow Road, Fallowfield. (c) Google 2011. View Larger Map.

The student-only pub (maybe one of the better nearby boozers should implement a No Students policy) known today as the Orange Grove, on the corner of Wilmslow Road and Sherwood Street, was previously known as the Sherwood.  Knowing student tastes, it's doubtful whether the Orange Grove offers much in the way of a traditional boozer or anything worth drinking, but we'll not get the chance to find out.  In the Sherwood 1970s it was a Whitbread house, before that, Threlfalls in 1959.  It's also shown in 1976 looking a bit different due to awnings having been added.

3 comments:

  1. I went in last year and I'm not a student, but I think it was summer when I went. So if you really want to find out what it's like now then you will probably get in out of term-time. Your presumption is correct though, it's not great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a student in 1978 meant looking for a traditional pub with something worth drinking! or at least it did to us. At that time it struck me as a local's pub - at any rate the beer was horrid, so it was rarely visited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it has been pulled down, after a period of dereliction, in October 2016. My father bought me a pint on my 21st birthday there when it was the Sherwood, and it was still a locals' pub.

    ReplyDelete