The Bundle of Sticks beerhouse was listed at 21 Boundary Street East opposite the Kings Arms in the 1871 census. When the licencee, Sarah Mellor, was refused a beer licence in 1876, the Bundle of Sticks closed for good but happily its name lived on as regulars took both their trade and the nickname over the road to the Kings Arms . Part of the beerhouse was incorporated into the Steam Brewery building, which is now the closed Scubar, previously the Old Steam Brewery and Green McNally's, on York Street.
Scubar, York Street. (c) googlemaps.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme and Chorlon-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).