It's difficult to believe but here on Pin Mill Brow where Great Ancoats Street meets Ashton Old Road used to stand the Bridge Inn. Seen here in 1958, it backed onto the River Medlock, hence its name, as seen here in 1958. These photos from 1960 and 1964 show this Chesters pub that was still open as recently as 1975. It was described in the Manchester Pub Guide as "standing in splendid isolation... a memorial to the old Chesters Brewery in nearby Ardwick... A traditional but tarnished house, it looks to be awaiting the pleasure of the demolition gang" . As the 1958 photo shows, it was on the corner of Pin Mill Brow and Ancoats Island, which can still be seen on the old layout thanks to googlemaps.
Former location of Bridge Inn, Pin Mill Brow. (c) googlemaps.
1. The Manchester Pub Guide, Manchester & Salford City Centres (1975).