The owner of the original Conti Club, the Continental, on Oxford Road, Efthimous Michael, sadly passed away this week. Michael ran the Conti for more than 50 years, firstly helping his Greek-Cypriot uncle run the club in 1946 after the serving in war. By 1965, Michael and his brother Andrew had taken over and ran the Oxford Road club. The original Continental was famous for its student and doctors and nurses nights, due to its proximity to St Mary's Hospital. The club moved / expanded (were the Conti and the New Continental open at the same time in the 1980s?) to Harter Street in the late 1960s and the New Continental continued under the stewardship of Michael until its closure in 2001 .