The Artillery Arms was a classic-looking Threllfalls house on the corner of Lower Chatham Street and Hadfield Street (now gone) just off Cavendish Street in Chorlton-on-Medlock. Its licence was suspended in 1969 and was the last of the pubs on Lower Chatham Street to be demolished to make way for the University's expansion. The 1881 census shows that James Byrom Royle and his wife Margaret kept the Artillery Arms at 62-64 Lower Chatham Street; the Royle family had the pub until 1890 . These days a block of student accommodation sits on the former site of the Artillery Arms, opposite the ugly modern St. Augustine's RC Church.
Former location of Artillery Arms, Lower Chatham Street (left). (c) googlemaps.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme and Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).