Tickle Street used to run off Deansgate, down the side of the the old Dog & Partridge (whose facade still exists), but along with its neighbouring street just south, Eltoft Street, it is long-gone. An odd little inner-city housing estate sits on this site these days. The map below shows Eltoft Street with Tickle Street above it it, St John's Tavern was roughly where indicated in blue and was run by James Rigby in the mid-late 1800s .
Former site (approximate) of St John's Tavern, Tickle Street. (c) googlemaps.
1. Manchester (Oxford Street & Gaythorn) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2010).