Before the Manchester Metropolitan University came to this part of town, Lower Ormond Street used to be known simply as Ormond Street and it extended further south of Cheste Street. On the corner of Chester Street and Ormond Street was the Lord Stanley, an end terrace in what was a short row of the dreaded back-to-backs. There was hundreds, nay thousands of back-to-backs in this area as shown on the 1844 map of Hulme . The exact spot where the Lord Stanley stood was at this near side of this MMU tower.
Former site of Lord Stanley, Ormond Street. (c) googlemaps.
1. Hulme 1844, Alan Godfrey Maps (2007).