Former site (approximately) of Three Legs of Man, Princess Street. (c) googlemaps.
Portland Street didn't always used to extend down to meet Oxford Street; in 1849 Portland Street ended abruptly where it meets Princess Street today (then David Street) as in the way was David Street Mill, Portland Saw Mills, Globe Iron Works and Oxford Street Saw Mills . Where Portland Street ended was the Three Legs of Man on the right, equivalent to the old bank on the corner nowadays, across the way from the Old Monkey. The Three Legs of Man refers to the Isle of Man's symbol of three bent spurred legs and was kept by Mary George in the mid-1800s. Not long after the pub was probably lost when "in the 1850s Portland Street was extended to Oxford Street, the David Street cotton mill, the huge Globe Iron Works and the Oxford Street Saw Mills being removed to make way for the new street ."
1. Manchester (Oxford Street & Gaythorn) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2010).
2. Manchester: an Architectural History, John J. Parkinson-Bailey (2000).