Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Sunday, 22 August 2010

Dog & Partridge, Deansgate

Former Dog & Partridge, Deansgate. (c) googlemaps.

Alliance & Leicester on Deansgate, a few doors up from the old Pig & Porcupine, is a fine looking building, squashed between dull, modern red brick offices. It's obviously been built around or just the façade was retained, and indeed it is photographed here in 1975 as National Westminster Bank when it stood alone. It became a bank in the 1970s but before that was the Dog & Partridge pub.

The narrow street to the right was Tickle Street which was where the Dog & Partridge's original entrance was, as shown in the 1849 map - it was run around that time by Sarah Richardson [1]. It was run by Frank and Liz Duggin in the 1950s and '60s and was probably a Chesters house, as described by their grandson Pete Bradshaw who was born in the pub in 1957 [2].

1. Manchester (Oxford Street & Gaythorn) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment