In the mid 1800s the area that is now known as the Gay Village was a mixture of terraced housing and business such as the "Road & Street Cleaning Company," "Tin, Copper and Zinc Packing Case Manufacturer" and the "Button Manufactory." This is one area of town which contained less pubs back in the day, with only the Ogden Arms (Rembrandt), Rams Head (Paddy's Goose) and the long-gone Olive Branch, shown in the 1849 map . The Olive Branch was towards the Portland Street end of Sackville Street, just past where the Thompsons Arms is nowadays. Its exact location was where the steps are leading up to the Portland Tower.
Former site of the Olive Branch, Sackville Street. (c) googlemaps.
1. Manchester (London Road) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2009).