Former Bath Inn, Stanley Street, 1820s. (c) Neil Richardson .
Two hundred years ago, few yards along from where the Mark Addy is today, stood the Bath Inn, "well calculated to be one of the first inns in the county ." This was a four-storey pub overlooking the river which had "a number of suitable rooms and apartments", a tap room, coffee room and stables. It was described as being "near the new stone bridge" - referring to the New Bailey Bridge which opened in 1785 - "on the Great Road leading from Manchester to Liverpool and Lancaster ." The pub was named after an ancient spring which was turned into a cold spa but despite this, James Maguire who opened the Bath Inn after moving from the Woolpack on Deansgate, the pub suffered from poor location (next to New Bailey Prison and riverside industry), and closed a year after it opened, in 1793 . The pub did find further use as a lying-in hospital and deaf-and-dumb school before being partly swallowed up by an iron foundry by the 1840s .
1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).