London Road Station was originally a temporary site in 1840 when the line from Crewe was expanded past Heaton Moor into Manchester. The Manchester & Birmingham Railway company built the new station here and it was briefly known as Store Street Station and Bank Top Station. The station then was small with only a handful of platforms and Birmingham Street passed south of it running from roughly where Whitworth Street is now, linking up with Fairfield Street at its intersection with Travis Street. On the London Road, Birmingham Street corner facing the station stood the Golden Eagle, which as well as being a station pub, was probably something of a market pub as London Road Market and its dozen stalls ("butchers, meat, fruit & vegetable") was adjacent .
Old location of Birmingham Street. (c) googlemaps.
1. Manchester (London Road) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2009).