The Three Boars' Head stood in Market Place in the 1700s. It is recalled in an article written in 1850 which was about the old Market Place & Neighbouring Streets in 1772. The Three Boars' Head was run by Peter Fernhead who died in 1781 . The pub was gone by the time the 1849 map of the area was drawn which shows the only the Falstaff Hotel on Market Place. This extract from 'Collectanea relating to Manchester and its Neighbourhood' describes the pubs' "good sound ale" and workers getting pissed:
Three Boars' Head, Market Place. (c) google .
1. Collectanea relating to Manchester and its Neighbourhood, John Harland (1867).