The Hope & Anchor in Water Street was demolished in 1838 to make way for the construction of the River Irwell end of the Manchester and Salford Junction Canal (we were lucky enough to take a guided tour of the Great Northern Warehouse end of these tunnels recently). According to a scan of the 1835 plan of this end of the canal, the pub was approximately where the entrance to the old Granada Studio Tours is today . The licence of this Hope & Anchor was transferred to a hotel near Victoria Station which was renamed the Hope & Anchor, Cathedral Yard .
1. Beneath Manchester, Keith Warrender (2009).