In the 1800s, this Deansgate end of Lloyd Street was known as Back Queen Street and on this corner was the Half Moon public house. It was kept in this period by Joseph Kerchin . A Café Nero coffee shop sits on the site of the old pub; the Farmer's Arms was a couple of doors up Deansgate where Millets is now, and the distinctive white Rising Sun (then, just the Sun Inn) can still be seen down Lloyd Street (right).
1. Manchester City Centre 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2008).