The short stretch of pedestrianised street that connects St Anne's Square to Market Street today is just an extension of the Square. In the 1700-1880s it was Exchange Street (the Exchange Theatre named thereafter), and the Dog Inn stood along here somewhere in the 1700s. In those times Exchange Street was a dangerous thoroughfare, with only a narrow pathway for pedestrians who struggled to avoid speeding carriages. Just before the Dog Inn was a retreat built into the wall for people to duck into. Such was the danger here that the passage was known as "Dangerous Corner" .
1. Collectanea relating to Manchester and its Neighbourhood, John Harland (1867).