This grim looking building at the top end of Deansgate just before Market Street contains, at street level, an American Express and not much else. A couple of hundred years ago this was a busy block containing a toyshop, drapers, confectioners, tobacconists, boot maker and watchmaker , as well as the Cumberland House pub, kept by Alan Marshall in the 1840s. The Cumberland House was four doors down from St. Mary's Gate, so was approximately where the empty property is in the above shot .
1. Manchester (Oxford Street & Gaythorn) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2010).
2. Manchester City Centre 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2008).