Union Tavern, West Union Street, Salford, 1912. (c) Neil Richardson .
West Union Street used to run between Oldfield Road and Ordsall Lane, just north of Regent Road, and was previously known as Union Place and plain old Union Street. The Union Tavern was halfway along on the north side of the street (likes its near neighbours the White Horse and the Friendship), opening around 1840. By the early 1900s the Union was owned by Walkers Brewery but in 1914 the licensing authorities decided that the premises were unfit and it was closed . Union Street West has been lost to what is now a retail park, with the road feeding it roughly matching the street's old route.
Former location of Union Tavern, former Union Street West. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).