Fox Tavern, Bury Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn & Alan Gall .
The Fox Tavern can be traced back to about 1850 when a beer house was opened on the corner of Garden Lane and Bury Street. In 1893 the Cornbrook Brewery owned the Fox and extended it into neighbouring properties, with beautiful decorative stonework commemorating the rebuild. At the brewster sessions the landlord claimed the Fox had been licensed for 200 years, though a magistrate remembered it being a greengrocer's before a beerhouse. The new Fox only stayed open until 1913 when it closed due to lack of trade. The building became a lodging house and survived into the 1950s with 'The Old Original Fox Tavern' stonework still maintained .
Former location of Fox Tavern, Bury Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford's Pubs 2, Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn & Alan Gall (1978).
2. Salford Pubs Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).