Former Islington Inn, Islington Square, Islington, Salford, 1950. (c) Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn, Alan Gall .
Islington Square was just north of East Ordsall Lane and was considered the posh part of Islington in old Salford, south of Chapel Street and before the rail lines. In 1865 the Islington Inn was opened by the Sandywell Brewery of Greengate on the corner of Lower Islington Street and the square, and in 1905 Wilsons Brewery bought the beerhouse.
Islington Inn, Islington Square. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Islington Inn only lasted a few more years, as the brewster sessions of 1914 stated that the beerhouse was mainly used by women so the trade was small (but respectable). It was converted to a shop and lasted until the late 1950s when Islington was redeveloped, and now Rodney Street continues on roughly where Islington Square was.
Former location of Islington Inn, Rodney Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford's Pubs 2, Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn, Alan Gall (1978).
2. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).