Duke of York, Bury Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn & Alan Gall .
The Duke of York stood on the corner of Frederick Street and Bury Street in old Salford, opening in 1825 and passing into the hands of Watson & Woodward's brewery towards the end of the century. The brewery bought up the house next door and later alterations included a new back entry and conversion of the upstairs clubroom into bedrooms. The Duke of York passed to Walker & Homfrays then Wilsons after WWII. Although the pub was included in the area for post-war redevelopment, it lasted until the mid-1960s, serving the new flats and maisonettes for a few brief years before it was pulled down . Frederick Street and Bury Street still partially run through Salford today but they don't quite meet anymore; the old location of the Duke of York being where Nathan Drive bends.
1. Salford's Pubs 2, Neil Richardson, Tony Flynn & Alan Gall (1978).
2. Salford Pubs Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).