Mechanics Rest, Chester Street, Hulme. (c) Bob Potts .
The Mechanics Rest served at number 84 Chester Street from 1846 to 1927, owned by the Walker & Son brewery of Warrington . Chester Street used to run from Great Jackson Street to Oxford Road, and today it still runs from Oxford Road over to Newcastle Street, boasting a new development of restaurants and the Courtyard further down.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).