Rob Roy, Vine Street, Hulme. (c) Bob Potts .
The Rob Roy opened in 1853 at No.40 Vine Street  on the corner with Warde Street, just south of Stretford Road in Hulme. It passed from the still surviving Hydes Brewery to Groves & Whitnall but closed in 1966 for the huge-scale redevelopment of Hulme . Pictured above in 1900, the sign advertises 'C Ale', 'close mineral waters' and 'Crown Stout.' Vine Street was lost to the building of the Princess Road, and the Roy Roy would have been on the left on the approach to the Stretford Road arched bridge.
Former location of Roy Roy, Vine Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
The Old Pubs of Hulme and Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).