White Horse Inn, Stretford Road, Hulme. (c) Bob Potts .
The White Horse Hotel opened at No.245 Stretford Road in 1833 , firstly passing to the local Empress Brewery and then to Peter Walker & Son's brewery of Warrington. The White Horse closed in 1968  as Hulme underwent drastic and disastrous redevelopment, which meant the building of a new, grim estate pub, also the White Horse.
Whereas the original White Horse was on the main thoroughfare through Hulme, on the corner of York Street and Stretford Road, its replacement was in the shadow of the hulking Charles Barry, one of the four huge blocks of the infamous Hulme Crescents. Neither the new White Horse or the Crescents lasted long, being pulled down in the mid-1990s.
The new White Horse, Stretford Road, Hulme. (c) exhulme .
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).