Bridge Inn, Hendham Vale, Smedley. (c) Bob Potts .
The Bridge Inn, pictured above in the early 1930s, used to stand at No148 Hendham Vale in Smedley, opening in 1848. Firstly owned by the Bell Brewery of Stockport, it closed as a Walkers of Warrington house in 1933 when its licence was surrendered for the licence of the well-known Princess Hotel, Mauldeth Road, Moss Side. The Bridge Inn was on the other side of the road to the still standing Smedley Hotel, so it was probably on the left along this stretch of Hendham Vale, where today the road ends and is just a path until it reaches Queens Road.
Former location of Bridge Inn, Hendham Vale. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Rochdale Road and neighbourhood Manchester, Bob Potts (1985).