Railway House, Oldfield Road, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
This Oldfield Road beerhouse can be traced back to the mid-1800s and it may have first opened as the Lancaster House, as listed in the 1861 census. It was soon renamed the Railway House, and it stood on the opposite the corner of West Fleet Street to the British Fleet. In 1886 the Railway House made the news when owners, Stockport's Bell & Company brewery, took the tenant to court after he had left his pub unattended one morning while twenty drinkers were helping themselves to beer! The beerhouse passed to Walkers Brewery of Warrington by the turn of the century but by 1930 it had closed . The former location of the Railway House was on the south side of Oldfield Road bridge between Liverpool Street and Regent Road.
Former location of Railway House, Oldfield Road. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).