Rocester Arms, Rocester Street, Collyhurst. (c) Bob Potts .
The Rocester Arms stood on Rocester Street, a lost street (seemingly named after a Staffordshire village) off Rochdale Road which ran east, just north of Queens Road in Collyhurst. The Rocester Arms opened as a beerhouse in 1869, passing to the Greatorex Brothers Brewery, the Empress Brewery and Walkers of Warrington, before finally being taken over by Tetley's of Leeds .
Former location of Rocester Arms, Rocester Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
Under Tetley's the Rocester Arms gained a full spirits licence in 1961 but just three years later, a compulsory purchase order saw the public house demolished . Since 1964, Rocester Street had been lost and recently this site has seen the building of the Manchester Communication Academy ('MCA4U' reads the sign).
Former location of Rocester Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Rochdale Road and neighbourhood Manchester, Bob Potts (1985).