Queen's Hotel, Rochdale Road, Harpurhey, 1958. (c) Alan Gall .
The Queen's Hotel was a large pub on the corner of Glenville Street (formerly Goodier Street) and Rochdale Road (No.787) in Harpurhey. This clearer copy of the above 1958 photo shows how the Queen's had HARPURHEY stone work on the roof, and this shot from the same year shows the shop on the other corner with a sign for the Cornbrook house, the Lord Lovat, which was just down on Camelia Road.
The pub was fully licensed from 1826 when it was known as the Andrew's Arms; the name change came after the municipal Queen's Park opened nearby in 1846. Bernard McKenna, co-founder of Harpurhey Brewery, had the Queen's in the 1870s when it was nicknamed McKenna's Vaults. Walker & Homfray then Wilsons had the Queen's Hotel before it was pulled down under a compulsory purchase order in 1959 .
Former location of Queen's Hotel, Rochdale Road, Harpurhey. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
The old location of the Queen's Hotel is roughly where Kesteven Road runs today just off Rochdale Road, just north of the Manchester General Cemetery. The former Foresters Arms can be seen in the distance on the right. Although there is no direct access, 50 yards or so back from the main road here is the site of the old Lord Lovat which has been demolished far more recently than the old Queen's.
1. Manchester Breweries of times gone by, Alan Gall (year unknown).2. The Old Pubs of Rochdale Road and neighbourhood Manchester, Bob Potts (1985).