Nelson Inn, Ordsall Lane, Ordsall, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Nelson Inn stood on the corner of Ashworth Street and Ordsall Lane, and opened in 1860s to serve the new houses of Ordsall as the southern part of Ordsall was being laid out across the lane. It belonged to the Neptune Brewery of Oldham Road, Manchester in 1891, when it comprised a bar, parlour, kitchen, scullery and two rooms upstairs.
Empress Brewery of Old Trafford had the Nelson by the early 1900s, and they were selling 14 barrels of beer a week in 1913, so they extended into part of the pawnbrokers next door, resulting in an extra entrance on Ordsall Lane. Decorated in classic Empress tiling, the Nelson lasted until the 1969 wave of Ordsall regeneration . This wiped Ashworth Street off the map, but it was about 80 yards south of Fairbrother Street, so the Nelson probably stood here:
Former location of Nelson, Ordsall Lane. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.