Yew Tree, Brunswick Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
This evocative photo of the Adelphi in the 1950s shows the former Yew Tree marked on the corner of Rigby Street and Brunswick Street. The beerhouse was one of Salford's first, with an 1829 licence predating the Beerhouse Act by a year. This meant that before 1830, customers weren't allowed inside to buy beer - they were served through the door or window! By the 1880s the Yew Tree was owned by Wheater & Swales brewery and it soon passed to Boddingtons. Being so old, the beerhouse was below street level so that customers had to go down three steps to enter, and in 1907 its licence was revoked . Due to redevelopments in the 1950s and '60s, this part of Salford has been drastically changed, and the lost Rigby Street has been replaced by Tysoe Gardens with Brunswick Street, which ran just east of and parallel to St Stephen Street, lost.
1. Salford Pubs Part One: the Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).