Former location of George & Dragon, Oldham Road, Ancoats. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
The George & Dragon was the last of the Ancoats beerhouses to open along Oldham Road, on the corner of Prussia Street (later Kemp Street). Up until the mid-1870s it was a provisions shop, becoming a beerhouse from about them until 1912 . This corner, near to the sadly and recently closed and converted Wheatsheaf, remains empty with the derelict block of flats behind it still awaiting refurbishment - what was Kemp (Prussia) Street has been turned into the end of Portugal Street today.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).