Former location of Prince of Wales (5), Hodge Lane, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Prince of Wales beerhouse was in a rown of properties on the south side of Hodge Lane, dating back to the 1860s. Wilsons Brewery took over in 1903 but the beerhouse closed in 1909 on police orders, due to the landlord holding illegal whist drives for local unemployed men . The Prince of Wales was nicknamed the 'Monkey' according to people who lived at 41 Hodge Lane long after the beerhouse closed . Also shown on the map in Neil Richardson's third book are (1) the Ship, (2) Grove, (3) Osborne and (4) Waverley . The location of the Prince of Wales is difficult to work out, but it was along the stretch of Hodge Lane which has been renamed Graythorpe Walk and is nothing but a path alongside the M602.
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).