Former location of Glasshouse Tavern / Farriers Arms, Oldham Road. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
The Wheatsheaf has been a recent loss to the city centre - its conversion to a convenience store, denying remaining locals a community boozer, is more evidence of the terminal decline of Miles Platting. In better days, a large glassworks stood opposite the Wheatsheaf, and the Glasshouse Tavern opened on the corner of Oldham Road and Cipher Street. The beerhouse later became the Farriers Arms as a Yates Castle Brewery before closing in 1907. This building shown on Cipher Street in 1961 stood on the site of the Glasshouse Tavern / Farriers Arms. Cipher Street still runs off Oldham Street today just after the Royal Mail sorting office, with Glasshouse Street behind it, an unexpected and direct link to a long-lost Manchester boozer.
Cipher Street and Glasshouse Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).