Travellers Rest, Beech Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy. (c) Chorlton History .
This former beerhouse still stands today, next door to the recently rejuvenated Beech Inn on the trendy Beech Road in Chorlton. The Travellers Rest opened in 1832 and was run by the Nixon family from the 1840s to the 1880s. It was a tiny boozer, just 11 ft wide and 6 ft long and apparently the front of Franny and Filer jewellers, which is housed in the former beerhouse, is a similar size today. Whilst there are a numerous drinking establishments on along Beech Road today, the Travellers Rest would have been the only one for a time in the 1800s [1,2]. There is more to be found about the Travellers Rest in Andrew Simpson's new book, The Story of Chorlton-cum-Hardy.
Former Travellers Rest, Beech Road. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.