Grove Inn (centre), Brewery Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Grove Inn can be traced back to a shop run by a butcher on the corner of Rosamond Street and Brewery Street, off Peru Street. The beerhouse opened in 1836 and in the 1860s, the licensee was a Joseph Holt (probably not not the Joseph Holt) before Groves & Whitnall bought the leasehold in 1898. The beerhouse was in a bad state so the brewery rebuilt the Grove Inn with a parlour to the front, kitchen at the side and a scullary. It lasted until 1955 when it was pulled down as part of the Trinity clearance scheme . Brewery Street was lost during redevelopments but it ran pretty much where Brotherton Drive is today, from Peru Street to St Stephen Street.
1. Salford Pubs Part One: the Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).