Former Mechanics Arms, Garden Lane, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Mechanics Arms stood on the corner of Back Hampson Street and Garden Lane, eight doors down from the Star on Greengate (formerly Broughton Road). It was open by 1850 but 50 years later at the brewster sessions it was described as dilapidated and falling down. Groves & Whitnall brewery rebuilt the Mechanics and it lasted until the early 1970s. After closure it was taken on by a building contractors for about 10 years before demolition . The bottom end of Garden Lane still runs off Bury Street - it used to run to Greengate (West) and the site of the old Mechanics is lost beneath the Trinity Way ring road.
1. Salford Pubs, Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).