Cheshire Cheese, City Road, Hulme. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image .
The Cheshire Cheese opened at 260 City Road in 1843 , and was soon a fully licensed Manchester Brewery public house. It passed to Walker & Homfray before closing as a Wilsons house in 1957 , under one of Hulme's first compulsory purchase order schemes. Shown in 1957 just before demolition, it had Manchester Brewery (MB) and Wilsons signage as well as vault and smoke room etched windows. These 1958 views from the top of Russell Street shows the former site of the Cheshire Cheese (to the right) with the flats on Southend Avenue having just gone up. The new flats on City Road itself in 1958 were on the site of the old Cheshire Cheese. And here they are today, marking the spot where the old Cheshire Cheese used to stand.
Former location of Cheshire Cheese, City Road. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).
3. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).