Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Sunday, 29 January 2012

Leamington Inn, Taylorson Street

Leamington Inn, Taylorson Street, Ordsall, 1951. (c) Neil Richardson [1].

The Leamington Inn was a Walker & Homfray and Wilsons house on Taylorson Street, Ordsall, one of the areas surviving roads which passes in front of Ordsall Hall.  It was opposite the entrance to Ordsall Park on the corner of Thorpe Street and opened in the early 1870s as a beerhouse.  Many applications for a full license were rejected and in the 1890s, Walker & Homfray tried to transfer their full license from the Blue Lion on Cook Street when it was demolished.  During further attempts by the landlord, Robert Walker, he insisted that "there was not so much rowing and fighting as there used to be" in the Leamington and that the fully-licensed Queens Hotel on Ordsall Lane had a "virtual monopoly" in Ordsall.  It looks like the Leamington was never granted that licence and it closed in October 1969 as a Wilsons beerhouse [1].  In 1978, Holt's opened the Sabre as the new estate pub but this only lasted until 1994.

1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment